CXCC Jessie and Tim link href='http://jessicanewcomb.webs.com/sifr.css' media='all' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'/>
CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Today is the day I have been waiting for and looking forward too for half a year now, and I am so happy to say I now have answers! I have gone through all kinds of scenarios in my mind as to how the conversations of today would unfold, and I have been pleasantly surprised that it went pretty painlessly. I have seriously thought to myself, Am I crazy? Is this pain for real, or have I lost it!! And it is so reassuring to know now that I WAS NOT CRAZY! I think we can all tell when our bodies are distressed and trying to tell us something, so I'm so glad I persued those feelings and hopefully this will be the last Attempt to get my back healed! Cross your fingers for me! So Today I met with Dr Reichman, It can be quite intimidating to meet with a surgeon like that, because they see such severe things, and have so much experience that it makes you feel like, Am I even worth his time? But Immediately when we met he was so kind and put me at ease. First thing he said was, you are way too young for this! Lets take a look and see what is going on, so He pulled out my MRI films and put them on the Light baord, and gave us a little lesson about the spine, and the nerves, and then showed us where my problem was. Right at the bottom of the lumbar spine(The exact same place as last time) where it starts to curve in the the Sacrum . L5- S1 to be exact, I have a disk that is buldged and torn, and since it is that way, the inner parts of the disk have sqwooshed out, and are rubbing on nerves, and Supposedly that was what was going to get repaired in my last surgery, and for some reason, either that didn't happen, or it re ruptured again, but since last year it has depleted so much that it is near to grinding vertebrae to vertebrae all the time. That is why it hurts so freaking bad all the time! So as we talked he explained the procedure that he suggests We do, and that is a spinal fusion. So basically what they will do is do an incision right at that disk(probably 4 inches long) and they will remove the disk completely. They will clean it all out, put a spacer in the place of the old disk and fill it up with bone material back to the height it should be(so hopefully i'll be 5'11 again!) Then they will put plates surrounding it and screw it into place. Eventually it will heal around the plate, and it will be just like three vertebrae in a row. kind of fascinating what they can do! The reason He suggests the fusion is that if they try to do a diskectomy again, it would most likely tear again because it is too worn out to hold, and Even if it did hold, it is so depleted it will still be grinding Bone on Bone, and that will just continue to get worse with time. So I feel really great about all of it, and I feel it is time. I Trust Him, and I think he is an amazing doctor, So I am really excited to hopefully be on my way to a more pain free me! And best news of all is, he says I should only have to wait about 6 months after the surgery to try to have a baby! So I am thrilled! Lets just hope everything goes according to plan! I don't have my surgery date yet, but it will most likely be in the first of April!

16 comments:

Natalie Duerden said...

I'm so happy for you Jess. You needed answers and that is what you got. I know you will get through this, and you will be feeling great with a beautiful baby in your arm before you know it. Love you

Holly said...

Jess, I am so excited for you to get that good news from the neurosurgeon!!! I can only imagine what it feels like. Also, I am so glad that you can try to have a baby as soon as 6 months after. Maybe we'll be prego at the same time... you never know!

Heather said...

Oh Jess! I have been thinking about you so much today! I am so happy that you got your answers! That surgery sounds pretty scary but to be pain free is so worth it. And six months of recovery to prepare for pregnancy is amazingly short! Congrats!

Emily and Jake Shoff said...

Jess, I am SO thrilled for you. I know that you have waited a long time for answers and I know that you have been blessed with the right one this time! Woot Woot!!

Megan said...

I can't help the tears in my eyes. Seriously, I'm bawling right now. I'm so happy for you. This is such great news. Finally, answers, a plan and an end in sight and your dream on the horizon. I love you Jess.

Rachel said...

YAY Jess! I'm excited for you...I hope your surgery goes well and you have a little one to hold soon!!

Darcie said...

I was thinking about you all day yesterday, wondering how it was going. I am glad you feel good about everything and that he was personable. April will come quickly.

Jenna and Steve said...

Yah! I am so excited for you. It sounds promising. We are thinking about you here in Cali.

Amy said...

This is so great Jessie! I'm so excited for you, such good news.

Emma and John said...

What great news! I was anxious to hear what the doctor said- that's exciting!! It must be such a relief :)

ashley said...

yay! that is such good news! I am so happy for you :)

pinksuedeshoe said...

Jess, I have goosebumps all over. I am so happy for you to have answers, and a solution in sight. So happy for you.

Chelsie said...

yeah jess! that is so exciting. i'm so glad that they have some answers for you and that you like your new doctor. i hope everything goes well, keep us updated

Sara said...

Such great new Jess! Hope everything goes well for you! Love ya girl:)

Dennis and Patty said...

I am so happy for you!

Dennis and Patty said...

Jessie, your Dr. is the one my friend Pat went to and he is the best. He is the only one who would operate on her and she is sooo good now. She had quite a while to recuperate but she is older than me. I can't wait till you are better!